Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Eliade and the Recollection of Undergraduate Studies

As part of our graduation requirements and exit interview in my undergrad program we were to come prepared with a statement on our understanding of religion.  It was an exercise in reflection as we were also required to write a similar statement when we entered the program.  Mine was relatively short:
Religion is a tool people employ to help them order their world. Whether it is making sense of suffering or explaining that which one does not know, religion and religious thought aids people by providing a framework that allows them to perceive understanding and control of the world in which they live.
The statement was meant to be as value neutral as I could manage while simply stating that religion is essentially utilitarian.  I took pains to make sure that it didn't set religion apart, that there is nothing particularly special about religion.  The reason is wrapped up in the naming of this blog and Mircea Eliade's seminal work The Sacred and the Profane.

In the work Eliade provides an argument for understanding both religious and non-religious experience (or to use the title of the work, the experience of the sacred and profane).  One of his contentions in the work is that non-religious people still act "religiously" when ordering their life or assigning value to specific events.  It is an interesting point as Eliade attempts to differentiate between sacred and profane experience via an understanding that the experience of the profane, while arguably religious in nature, tends to be personal and private and the experience of the sacred tends toward to the communal and becomes ritualized.

I loved Eliade (to be fair, I loved most of what I read in undergrad) but his concept of sacred and profane created a problem for me.  Creating the dichotomy of "sacred" and "profane" naturally created other dichotomies in his work that tended to force divisions in his analysis where I never felt there needed to be.  The part of Eliade's work that tended to embed itself in my thinking, however, was the fact that religious practice and experience is and has been an incredibly ordinary experience in human history.  Instead I choose to subvert Eliade's dichotomy of sacred and profane because I can't help but see the myriad constructions of religious belief and practice throughout the world and acknowledge that religion is not special or unique or at all sacred.  It is simply the experience of different cultures, both privately and publicly, attempting to make sense of life.

I bring all of this up because I'm truly fascinated by the way different people understand their worlds.  Whichever way one approaches the world, I've always thought the key to continued progress as human beings is through understanding of ourselves and those around us.  For myself, religion has played an important role in my life and over time I've come to understand that, in the end, religion is really a story about us.  For my own experience the journey to understand the meaning and purpose of the divine has really been a journey to understand myself.  As Eliade would admit religion is about the stories we tell and the meaning we assign to those stories.  It is, in an oddly peculiar way, what we do as human beings as well.  We tell stories.  We construct our mythologies and assign to those mythologies symbols and rituals to remember them by.  And I wouldn't call that a religious endeavor, I would call that a human compulsion.

What about you internetland?  How do you see the world around us?

7 comments:

  1. I watched a Joseph Campbell program on Netflix recently. One of the points he made was that the story Western religion (aka Christianity) tells about the inherently flawed and sinful nature of human beings separated from the divine and at odds with "Nature", flips the older stories people used to (and I'm sure still do) tell about the inner divinity, inherent wholeness, and deeply rooted connection to the natural world that humans have, around on it's head.

    The metaphors we use to describe our experience are essential to defining the parameters of that experience.

    Some times I miss otherwise obvious things because I'm looking for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an interesting movement in Christian theology as Jewish theology didn't include the notion of a "fallen" humanity or an understanding that humanity is inherently flawed. I mention it because Judaism is typically lumped into Western religion/philosophy which always strikes me as odd. Judeo-Christian is a misnomer in more ways than one.

    Another thing your comment makes me think about is the way in which people assign greater meaning to seemingly innocuous events. The reasoning behind those interpretations of events never cease to interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read Eliade, so this is all based on your above commentary...

    So, then, is religion a framework which explains and gives meaning to the experience of mystery as well? Can mystery be explained in the private as well as public? Can religion only be communal, according to Eliade?

    I think religious patterns, using your definition Jake, are just as individual as communal, perhaps even within broad categories such as Jewish, Christian, Muslim and Athiest. I think religion is a dance between and through sacred and profane moments...what seems mundane may indeed be more parabolic than we know and vice versa. So, I suppose I am in agreement with you. Not a fan of dichotomies.

    So what does it mean to be a person of faith in a given religious system?

    Sorry for the random thoughts...I should put this on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casey,

    Above commentary is woefully inadequate (of course), but I think Eliade would say that religious experience can be both private and public while non-religious people have chosen to only experience a profane world which can only be meaningful to one's private life. The scope of his work is an attempt to classify religious experience strictly through a sociological lens. He builds a lot of the framework for talking about it from Emile Durkheim whose approach to understanding religion is in that same sociological field.

    I suspect that your definition of the sacred and profane are more fluid than Eliade's and it would be interesting to understand what you mean when you say "sacred" and "profane".

    Being a person of faith means participating in the ritual experience and expression of a given religion and wrestling with the mythology and symbol that provides the framework for ritual expression. I don't think being a person of faith requires any specific understanding of theology which, I realize, tends to broaden the scope of inclusion to a level most people aren't comfortable with.

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometime assign meaning to seeing or hearing ravens. I know intellectually that it's completely arbitrary, but at some deeper level of being it reminds me of reading Carlos Castaneda's books and what I drew from that, as well as ancestor spirits in general. (I understand Castaneda's material has more or less been discredited, but having read through it all twice I still think there is something there that is worthwhile.) Their appearance sort of functions as a kosmic approval of whatever I may be thinking or doing at the time. Kinda strange, huh?

    Speaking to definitions of sacred and profane could this not be one of those paradoxes of life? All that Is being both at the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it's strange at all. I remember talking before about similar things. I tend towards the rational/skeptical side of things and I don't find that strange. I also don't think everything we do or think or feel should be rational. Part of that is a recognition that we're not only cerebral and logical beings but entities that are also emotional and spiritual by nature. Rational logical thought can only take us certain places, and sometimes we need to go places that are in an all together different realm of existence.

    I like the idea of both/and for a sacred and profane world but my push back is always toward challenging the way we conceive of religion as the ultimate vehicle for truth. My reaction to that is to affirm that religion and the sacred is an important part of life and remember that it is absolutely an essentially human endeavor as well. In the case of Eliade's framework, he's talking singularly about how we experience the sacred and profane and one of my frustrations with him is exactly what you named. The dichotomy in Eliade's work is that our experiences have to be either/or rather than both/and especially when talking about those non-religious people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find categorizing the profane from the sacred to be a reflection of the status quo. it is ever changing through time, location, and social norms. prohibition is a great example. and why can't the profane be social. Look at the use of lsd in the burning man gatherings in the desert. you can also see changes in the profane before our eyes. take gay rights as an example. it is now openly accepted in many congregation (maybe it always was and I wlas never exposed to it). the bottom line is, if you are going to hold something as sacred that is viewed to be profane, be prepared to feel the conflict somewhere because you are probably bugging the status quo

    ReplyDelete